Stump the Class
Dianna, Middle School Teacher
A learning game for students to recognize what type of events can be found in certain sections of the newspaper.
- Local Newspapers (one newspaper for each 4 students)
- Divide students into small groups (approx. 4 students per group)
- Provide each group with a local newspaper.
- Instruct students to find at least 10 articles and write the titles of the articles.
- They are also to record the section (State, local ,national, sports) of the newspaper in which they found the article.
- At the end of a designated time period collect the newspapers. (I usually give them 15 minutes)
- A represenative from the first team will read a title of an article to the rest of the class. The rest of the groups must "guess" the correct section of the newspaper where the article is located.
- Continue to "rotate" so that each team gets turn to challenge the rest of the class. If a team "stumps" the rest of the class they will get a point. It is a good idea to have a "reward" for the winning team.
The kids really enjoy this game. Without realizing it they are learning to recognize what type of events can be found in certain sections of the newspaper.
Copyright (c) 1999 by Dianna. All Rights Reserved.