The Peanut Butter and Jelly Dance...
The student will be able to find three other people, by non-verbal body language, that will complete a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, while the song is playing.
- Tape player
- tape with song “Peanut Butter & Jelly,”
- Peanut Butter,
- Peanut Butter
Bring out a jar of Peanut Butter, and a jar of jelly and then ask them what they think we are going to do today? (make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches)
- The students will discuss what makes up a peanut butter & jelly sandwich and then discuss what makes up a dance.
- The students will line up and then the teacher will tell them (secretly) in their ear if they are a peanut butter, jelly, or a slice of bread.
- The teacher then tells the students that if they are a peanut, their whole body must be in the shape of a peanut without moving their arms, they can only move their legs to walk.
- Students who are jelly, must be constantly moving their arms around.
- Students who are pieces of bread must be super still and flat, not moving their hands or heads.
- The teacher will then show an example of the dance, by playing music and asking four children to move around and figure out who is who by their movements, not by talking. During this whole dance no one can talk.
- Then, when the teacher stops the music the students must quickly combine in the following order: Slice, Peanut butter, Jelly, Slice
- Once the students complete a sandwich they begin all over again, this activity will go on for about fifteen minutes.
- Any student not in a sandwich, by the time the music stops, will have to sit down for two turns.
Play the game telephone, while sitting in a triangle shape.
Making of the human peanut butter and jelly sandwich properly, using non-verbal communication.
I am not a teacher yet, because I still have to do my internship, but I did this activity with grades 2-5 in physical education and they loved it. I hope you enjoy it. There's also a writing lesson to go along with this dance. The writing lesson teaches the writing process in a FUN way.