Easy Christmas Tree Decorations
Preschool, K, 1-2
Cathriona, Primary Teacher
To make a Christmas decoration.
- A slice of bread for each child
- A selection of festive cookie cutters
- A straw
- Cardboard box (for storage and drying)
- This activity has a few steps which means that it takes a few days to
complete. But it is simple and worth the wait!
- Give each child a slice of bread. Show the children the cookie cutters
and ask them to select one each.
- The child places the cutter in the center of the bread and presses down,
cutting out the shape.
- Using your straw make a hole in the top of the bread so that thread can be inserted later to hang up the decoration
- I find it useful to line a cardboard box with paper and have the children's
names written on it for easy identification later. The child places her cut out shape on her name. These are then left to dry out in the classroom. Remember to turn them over so both sides come in contact with the air!
- When the bread is dry get the children to decorate theirs using glue and glitter. Remind them that one side must be dry before they can commence on the other!
- Insert ribbon/thread and tie to make a cheap and cheerful decoration. Enjoy!
Nollaig Shona Duit - Happy Christmas from Ireland