Tool Time Song
Paula Diekhoff, Preschool Teacher
Have a handyman demonstrate real tools to the children, then sing a song about tools to the tune of the Wheels on the Bus.
If you are using a workbench, tools and hard hats in your dramatic play area, why not invite a handyman to bring real tools to demonstrate to the class?
Then, you can ask the children to help you make up a song about tool sounds, using "Wheels On the Bus" as the tune.
(tune: "Wheels On the Bus")
Some suggested ideas for tool sounds:
- The hammer in the shop goes "bang, bang, bang!"
- The drill in the shop goes "br-r-r, br-r-r, br-r-r".
- The saw in the shop goes "buzz, buzz, buzz".
- The sock-et wrench goes "click, click, click".
- The router in the shop goes "whir, whir, whir".
- The measuring tape goes "snap, snap, snap".
Boys were really interested in the tool demonstration. Hearing the sounds of real tools helped us describe tools in action.