Take Home the Bear
Debbie Haren, preschool teacher
To get parents involved with their child's school and to
help the children learn how to keep a journal.
- Teddy Bear
- small clothes such as baby clothes,
- baby shoes
- plain paper
- Fill the suitcase with all the items.
- Explain to the kids that this is the class bear and he will go home with each child for 2 days and be their buddy. Their responsibility
is to make sure he is safe and has a nice time.
- After their two days are done, it is also their responsibility to work with Mom and Dad to write in the notebook all the things that the bear did while he stayed with them.
- They are also to make a picture of their favorite thing they did with the bear and write a small sentence at the bottom of the picture.
- All these things are then to be put back in the suitcase and brought back to school.
- At the end of the year, all the pictures can be put together and laminated to make a book of all the things the bear did that year.
- The journal should be kept and read each time a student comes back with the bear!
This activity is so fun and everyone gets very involved with the bear. It is helpful to name your bear also. I even had parents buy new outfits for the bear!