Sparkle Spelling Game
Here are two variations on the game of Sparkle.
Students practice spelling words.
Submitted by: Steve
- Students sit on their desk tops.
- The teacher picks someone to begin.
- When the teacher says the spelling word the student must say the first letter
and the next student the second letter and so on until the word is spelled.
- After the entire word is spelled the very next student says "sparkle"
and the student after that sits down.
- Students also sit down if they say a wrong letter or need the word said
This game is a favorite in my fourth grade class and really stresses good
listening skills as well.
Submitted by: Jennifer Cole, MN
- Students form a circle.
- The teacher reads one spelling word aloud.
- One student is chosen to start the word, saying the first letter of the
- Then it goes clockwise having each student say the next letter of the word.
- When the word has been spelled correctly, the next student in line says
- Then the next word is given.
- If a student says the wrong letter, they are out of the game and must sit
Spark (a variation on Sparkle spelling game)
A variation of Sparkle, Spark allows mis-spellers to rejoin the game after practicing words.