Rock and Roll Relay
Paula Diekhoff, Preschool Teacher
This large motor activity gets kids rocking and rolling.
- 2 child-size rocking chairs (or, 2 child-size chairs)
- 2 rubber playground balls (or two small basketballs)
- Divide the class into 2 teams.
- At the signal, the first player runs to a rocking chair. S/he picks up
and holds the ball, sits down and rocks back and forth 3 times.
- Then, the player rolls the ball to the next team member and takes his/her place at the end of the line.
- This procedure continues until all have had a turn.
- If rocking chairs are unavailable, have the child sit in a child-size chair and rock his body back and forth 3 times. (May need to demonstrate.)