The Importance of the Rainforest
Charlene Afflitto, Second Grade Teacher
Read and discuss The Great Kapok Tree to learn about the importance of the rainforest.
- Students will be able to identify animals that live in the rainforest.
- Students will be able to state reason that the rainforest is important to us.
- Anticipatory Set- Play Tropical Rainforest music as the students begin.
- Read The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry.
- On a flip chart or chalkboard, ask for volunteers to name all the speaking animals in the book and list.
- Then list each of the reasons the animals gave for not cutting down the tree. Discuss.
- Children choose one of the reasons and write how this would impact their lives. For example, if there are no trees there would be no oxygen. How does this effect us? Share responses.
This book and discussion is a favorite with my second grade classes.