Peanut Butter and Jelly Rhyming
Amy, Kindergarten Teacher
Read Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Rhyming Text, then make a peanut butter and jelly cake/sandwich!
To teach rhyming text.
- Book -Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Rhyming Text by Nadine Westcott
- 1 pound cake
- 1/2 cup fruit jelly
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tbs unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 tea vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Read the book.
- Talk about the rhyming text.
- Go back over some of the rhyming words and listen to the sounds.
- Give the children words to choose from out of the book and ask them which two rhyme.
- After all their hard work, make a table size peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
- Cut the pound cake in half in the middle.
- Spread the jelly evenly on the cut sides of the cake.
- Sandwich the two sides back together.
- Using an electric mixer cream together the peanut butter and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and continue beating.
- Add the sugar and milk, a little at a time, and continue beating until smooth and spreadable.
- Cover the entire cake with the peanut butter frosting.
- Eat and enjoy!