Hands-on Outdoor ABCs
E A CYR, parent
Gather outdoor items on a walk, discuss, and make your own book!
Children learn about ABCs, different things about the outdoors, colors, textures, shapes.
- construction paper
- shoe box
- string ( for binding book)
- In the fall, go outside with the children and ask them (with your help) to gather different things that start with different letters.
- Place these items in a shoe box then return inside.
- Talk about what you found: colors, textures, letters, etc.
- Then, glue them onto construction paper and make a book for looking at later.
Hints: If things are brittle, do not use them. If leaves are in color, the best way to preserve them is by ironing them with wax paper.
Children love hands-on activities they feel more involved, more like they did it, being outside helps them develop their imagination.
Editor's Note: The Ziploc Bag Book would be very appropriate for this activity so you don't have to worry about things staying glued on.