Incredible Equations - Math Calendar Activity
Amy, Kindergarten Teacher
Students explore math equations using addition and subtraction.
- large index cards
- bingo chips
- candies (m&m's, marshmallows, cheerios, etc)
- Draw a box on the index card where the first number would be then the plus sign, then another box for second number then equals sign.
- On the back, do the same but use subtraction.
- Laminate cards
I use this activity with calendar.
- I take the day of the month..for example today is the 9th.
- I give the children an addition card along with 9 (or whatever day) items.
Marshmallows, cereal, etc...
- The children separate the items into two groups putting some in one box and the other in the next. I then have the kids tell me their math problem. Example...five marshmallows in the first box, four in the next. They tell me 5+4=9.
- I then write the problem on the board where I have the title incredible equations and the number nine circled (or whatever number).