The Letters Are Lost by Lisa Campbell Ernst
Students will be able to recognize letters of the alphabet and be able to identify an item that begins with a letter.
- Read the book to the class telling them to pay close attention to where the letters have gone.
- During each letter be sure the students can recognize that each objects begins with that specific letter, such as airplane begins with A.
- At the end of the story it says "Soon the blocks will begin to disappear once more. Can you guess where they might go?" This is where the discussion begins.
- Discuss where each child thinks a letter might disappear to making sure the students understand that the places they disappear to correspond with that letter. Perhaps they might find the letter A in an apple tree this time.
- Have students choose a letter on their own or even out of a hat, and have them create their own picture of where the lost letter is.
- Another idea is creating a classroom book using this concept.