Y is for Yarn
Debbie Haren, Preschool Teacher
Helping children to learn the sound and shape of the letter Y.
- Construction paper, any color or heavy white paper
- Make a big block letter of a Y.
- Next, put glue all over it with a cotton swab.
- Then let children put all different colors of yarn all over the inside of it.
- Explain to the children that the shape makes a Y and that yarn starts with the letter Y.
I suggest you precut the pieces of yarn to about 2 inches. This is an excellent size for the children to be able to manipulate on their own. It would also be a good idea to use the color yellow for the construction paper and explain to the children that the color yellow also starts with the letter Y.
I work with the Americorp program in Ohio called Ohio Reads Early. I work with children ages birth to 5 years old doing literacy-based activities. I read books, do activities and try to help young children get a head start on the importance of learning to read.