The Letter P Popcorn Balls
Amy, Kindergarten Teacher
To learn about the letter P and things that start with the letter P.
Ingredients for Popcorn Balls :
- 16 Cups popcorn
- 1 pound chocolate coated candies
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1 package (1 pound ) of marshmallows
- measuring cup
- medium size saucepan
- large mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- baking sheet
- hot plate
- Read the book listed above.
- Go through the book page by page talking about each picture. Talk
about how the letter p is the first letter of the word popcorn. What sound do they hear? Do they hear the sound anywhere else in the word.
- For a treat, make popcorn balls with the kids.
- Melt oil and butter in saucepan over medium heat on the hot plate.
- Add marshmallows and stir with wooden spoon until completely melted. (We sometimes count the marshmallows - this helps with participation. I do not let the children come up and stir because of the hot plate)
- In large mixing bowl, pour melted marshmallow mixture over popcorn and mix well to combine.
- Add the candies (which are optional).
- Using a large spoon or your hands, scoop out 1 cup portions of
the popcorn mixture onto baking sheet.
- Let cool.
- I also have used waxed paper and given the children their own cup portions on the wax paper to mold into whatever kind of creature they choose.
See the next lesson: Letter P - Popcorn Book: Growing Popcorn
The Letter P - Growing Popcorn
Learn about things that start with the letter P and grow a popcorn plant from a kernel.