Folktale Unit: Paul Bunyan and the Big Blue Ox
Debbie Haren, Preschool Teacher
To learn about an old folktale and to learn new vocabulary.
Materials: Paul Bunyan
by Steven Kellogg
Shared Reading: Paul Bunyan
- Do we chop down trees the same way today as they did back then?
- What do we use use?
- Are there any big words in this book that you can tell me what they mean?
- How did the Ox help Paul?
- How did Paul and his friends get rid of the tree stumps?
- Who was Paul's male friend in the story?
- How did you feel about Paul chopping down all those trees?
- What is a pioneer?
We have read several different folk tales. I would like you to tell me which one is your favorite so far and why.
7 lessons for learning about folktales: What is a Fairy Tale or Folk Tale?, The Princess and the Golden Shoes, The Emperor and the Kite, Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, and Johnny Appleseed.
Folktale Unit Ideas
Ideas to go with reading folktales.