K, 1-2, 3-5
Kellie, 3rd grade teacher
Students use this hands-on math center to explore estimation and counting by tens with Goldfish.
- Goldfish or whale shaped crackers
- As one of many centers in my oceans unit, I buy a small fish bowl and some goldfish or whale shaped crackers.
- After I introduce my centers, I choose one student to come up and fill the bowl with as many crackers as they want.
- After a day of having the students estimate the number of crackers, the counting begins. As a class we count the crackers by grouping them by tens.
- The kids love it because it's a hands on experience and I always have some "extra" crackers for the kids to taste.