Cookie Fractions - The School Bell Rang
Amy, Kindergarten Teacher
This is a brief introduction to fractions using the book The Doorbell Rang.
- The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins
- Prepare the night before one large chocolate chip cookie. (Pillsbury has the ready to bake ones.) Bring to school.
- School Bell needed for ringing.
- Cardboard door (can make out of a big box)
- Read the book The Doorbell Rang.
- Talk about what happened when all the children came to the house.
- Bring out the cookie. I ask the children, "If I were the only one in the room, how much of the cookie would be mine?" (The whole thing)
- Then I set up the door and set the bell on a desk beside the door.
- I separate them into groups of two, three and four.
- I then have my first group ring the bell and come in. On the board we draw and circle and talk about how we can divide the the cookie to each have equal parts.
- Then the next group comes, etc...
- When all the children have come in we divide the cookie so we each have the same amount.
- Then we eat the cookie!