Cooking with the Letter B
Amy, Kindergarten Teacher
Learn about the letter B: read Blueberries for Sal, then make a blueberry smoothie. Alternative: For letter S, read The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear, then make a strawberry smoothie.
Ingredients for blueberry smoothies (1-2 servings)
- 1 cup milk, low fat
- 1/2 cup nonfat frozen yogurt or fruit sherbet
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- measuring cups
- I have found every year when I do this activity, not many children know what a blueberry is or tastes like! I read Blueberries for Sal.
- We find all the words that start with the letter B in the story.
- After the lesson I ask the children how many people know what a blueberry is, what do they think it taste like, smells like, etc.
- I give them each a blueberry to try.
- We then move onto making smoothies... Put ingredients into a blender one at a time. Blend until smooth. Serve and enjoy!
I have also used this along with the letter S.
Read the book, The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear by Audrey Wood and use strawberries instead of blueberries!