Phonics Activities for Aa and Ii
Stephanie, Preschool Teacher
Here are a few activities to learn about the letters Aa and Ii.
- sponge letter cut outs
- each letter blown up
- 3 - 4 different types of apples
- graphing paper
When trying to teach preschoolers the alphabet here are a few suggestions that I have done.
Let's start with the letter A
First Day -
- Peel and cut up a red apple, yellow apple, and green apple.
- Have each student eat a piece from all 3 different apples (It will be fun to watch their faces when they eat the green one since they are usually sour.)
- Then ask each student which apple they like best.
- On the graphing paper, write their name and draw the apple in that color (i.e. if Susie likes red write her name and draw a red apple)
- When you are finished with your whole class, they will like to see their names on the paper.
Second Day -
Let your class sponge paint the letter A.
Third Day -
Get the large letter you photo copied and buy some apple jack cereal and have the students glue apple jacks in the middle.
Here's one more fun activity for the letter I
Make an Igloo! Get a styrofoam bowl and cotton balls. Turn the bowl upside down and glue it on construction paper or a hard piece of paper. Then have the student glue the cotton balls all over and cover the bowl.
I am currently working as a preschool teacher and going to school at night for early childhood education. I have a 3 year old daughter named Kaitlyn and a husband of 6 years. I love working with preschoolers and love fun ideas to make learning fun.