Experimenting with Colors
Randi Austin, Kindergarten Teacher
A fun activity that allows children to experiment and mix colors
- red, yellow, blue food coloring
- a can of white icing
- paper plates (one for each student)
- pretzel sticks
- Put 3 spoonfuls of icing on each child's plate.
- Put a drop of blue food coloring on one spoonful, a drop of red food coloring on one spoonful, and a drop of yellow food coloring on the last spoonful.
- Give the children 3 pretzel sticks.
- Allow them to experiment mixing the colors together with their pretzel sticks. You can even let them create and name new colors.
- They love it! Of course they get to sample the treat when they are finished.
I teach kindergarten at a small, rural school in Missouri. I am very excited about starting my fifth year as a teacher. It will be my fourth as a kdg. teacher.